This is the start of my efforts to write quick reviews for the books I am reading for my work as a social worker and therapist.
Title: Free Your Child From Anxiety
Author: Tamar Chansky, PhD
What I liked about it:
- Chock full of good information for parents to help their kids manage anxiety
- Interesting recommendations
- Good examples
Things I didn’t like:
- Too dense – could overwhelm parents
- Some of the recommendations would be better for professionals vs. parents trying to do it on their own.
- Hard to cover every situation, so some of the examples were too acute
Don’t dismiss your child’s worries (“It’s okay” “that won’t happen”) , but be empathetic and curious to find out more so you can help them work through it (“what’s worry brain telling you”)